Eco-friendly products are products that are environmentally friendly. What makes a product eco-friendly? How are they different from other products? They are products that:
Can be recycled,
Feature energy savings,
Inflict no harm to the environment
Who determines if a product is eco-friendly?
There are no hard and fast rules about being eco-friendly. The consumer is left to judge a product and compare it to others. Many times an eco-friendly product was inferior to a well-known brand product. It is the responsibility of companies to educate the public about their ethical policies and provide information about how they:
Produce the product
Package the product
Use the product
Recycle the product
Questions for Consumers
Since it is quite difficult to discern eco-friendly claims to be green, there are questions that help with this decision.
Do I really need this product?
A new car or instead, a new bike? Anything that reduces fossil fuel use is eco-friendly.
How energy efficient is this product?
If it reduces the power consumed, then it is eco-friendly.
How sustainable is this product?
If it is made from renewable sources, it is eco-friendly.
Can this product be recycled?
If it can be recycled for use again, it is eco-friendly.
Types of Eco-friendly Products
There are many types of eco friendly products ie. organic certified products are produced without harmful chemicals. There are also many natural products, especially cosmetics and food related which are eco friendly because the ingredients are locally sourced and do not require chemical processing. To see a list of a 'green' products please visit our eco products category.
Statistics for Eco-friendly Products
According to research from Intellitrends, when asked about their future purchase of products that are green, 93 percent of U.S. consumers say they definitely or may purchase these eco-friendly products.
Other Reports on Consumer Views
In a Consumer Behavior Report, the following data was presented.
- 50 percent of online shoppers purchase eco-friendly products because it will reduce the impact on their children’s generation.
- 82 percent of online shoppers said they needed help finding merchant availability and eco-friendly products.
- 68 percent of online shoppers say that buying eco-friendly products is important; 35 percent say that it is extremely important to them.
- 74 percent of the respondents said that being a positive eco-friendly example to others is important to them.
- 46 percent of online shoppers say that “energy efficient” is the most important attribute when buying appliances.
- 70 percent of online adults say that the statement: “I’m concerned about the environment,” describes their attitude.
- The U.S. organic industry continues to expand, growing 21.8 percent in 2006.
Some Unusual Eco-friendly Products
A Colorado company sells caskets made from banana skins and bamboo plants. It decomposes together with the body. It promotes eco-friendly burials. The lowest price for an Ecoffin is $800.00.
Green accessories abound from the Kitten Lab. Ecologically friendly earrings are made from IBM Selectric typewriter balls. They are made of plastic and not too heavy.