There are a number of environmental issues affecting the world today. Rapid globalization and natural evolutionary processes of the Earth are transforming the localized problems into larger global issues that effect the way we live today.Air and water pollution, ozone depletion, hazardous waste disposal, smog, overpopulation, noise pollution, deforestation, and the excessive exploitation of natural resources are putting a heavier toll on the environment and disturbing the balance of our entire eco system.
Close up of oil spill in ocean waters.
If we want the word to be habitable for our future generations, we need to cultivate practices which have minimum impact on the environment by producing and using goods and services which inflict no harm to the environment. Environmentally friendly practices aim to improve our environment and our habitat. Environmentally friendly practices include investments in renewable energies, recycling, and using natural resources more efficiently.
Environmentally friendly policies meet the needs of the present generation without compromising on the future generation’s ability to meet their needs.
Environmentally Friendly Business principles:
Nowadays the biggest challenge to business management is ensuring profitability along with opting environmental friendly methods. Today's business leaders should not think of making money without thinking of the after effects of their business practices. Many companies have already proven that it is entirely possible to ensure healthy profits while choosing greener practices.
Some of the main concepts which business leaders struggle against today is identifying, defining, and implementing new ways of conduct that are beneficial to their company and are also environmentally friendly. In result, many businesses require new leaders and new ideas that will help them become more environmentlally efficient.
- Industrial waste should always be properly managed and recycled in designated recycle points.
- Machinery should be adopted to minimize energy use but to maximize productivity.
- Industrial organizations should make use of environmentally friendly technologies whenever possible.
- Harmful emissions should be controlled and minimised through the use of Environmental Management System.
- Environmentally friendly policies should be implemented at each level of production starting with the selection of raw materials, use of machinery, packaging, using natural resources, etc.
- Companies should encourage an open dialogue with their costumers and should be open to any input and feedback from their side.
Obviously implementing greener technologies in a manufacturing process can be very costly and time consuming. Many companies choose to become greener by neutralizing (or offsetting) their carbon emissions by buying carbon credits which are used in various projects, such as reforestation projects, and balance their emissions. There are now many companies specializing in calculating and trading carbon credits and this is becoming a very popular trend.